Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Sales is tough

Sometimes I think its the toughest job there is. And sometimes I think the challenges I face in sales are a karmic result of my own shrewd consumer behavior. I've been known to go to a half dozen electronics store to check out prices on digital cameras.

I just got off the phone with a salesman who was trying to sell me his service (lead generation). I'm a probable buyer. It's a product I'm interested in. I originally contacted him. Nevertheless, I don't particularly enjoy getting a phone call from him to discuss it. I know what I want. I know it's not possible to get a guarantee before purchasing his service. But, I do tell him exactly what information I need to make a decision. I tell him when and how to follow up.

I can think of a dozen different sales techniques he could try to pull to get me to pull the trigger. But the path is going to be much easier for both of us if he could just be quiet, understand my concerns, and respond in the manner that I prefer. There's a personal lesson in there, I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home